Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Piece of Meat.

The last couple of days I've been getting really annoyed with men. I mean, I know that you are all not gross and feel that you can treat women like a piece of meat to be looked at, or whistled at, or make lame comments to. But lately I seem to be coming across alot of men who are like this.
I guess I knew that there are guys out there that are like this, but haven't really encountered it myself too much.
Let me explain myself before I continue to ramble on...
At work the other day a middle aged man told me that I have pretty eyes. But not in a complimentary kind of way. Then the whole rest of my transaction with him he continued to kind of just look me up and down. I just felt like saying "really? I mean seriously do you feel like you can treat me like this?" In a different situation I could have just avoided the guy. I don't remember specifics about a couple of other guys. But I do remember them acting the same way... thinking that they could just kind of look me up and down. Ask me multiple questions that they're not really interested in. I actually had another guy a few weeks ago ask me multiple questions and eventually invite me to his apartment. He was at least 40. He actually came back a couple of weeks after that and tried to talk to me again and asked me if I remembered him. One of my coworkers rescued me by telling me she needed something from the back. Another guy continued to ramble on and on, asking me how I was and telling me random things. But it was in a way where I was feeling invaded... if that makes sense?
When I went to get a woman customer from one line to come to my register I asked her if she was with the guy she was standing next to. He goes "no, but boy I sure wish she was". And again did that classic look up and down like he's undressing with his eyes. I could tell she was annoyed, obviously.
Anyway... sorry. I feel like I've been brooding over this for a while now because it's just frustrating me so much. So I complained to all of you.
Really, where do some men get the idea that they can treat women this way??

2 Comments:

At 7/27/2005 01:18:00 PM, Blogger melissamae said...

that is stinky! my store usually isnt a place for guys...most are afraid of the idea of art i guess. but i do get the rude women every once in awhile. you know the ones who think they own you because they are rich...it makes me feel the same way very upsetting.

 
At 7/28/2005 05:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura Benson
augh yes "men"... I would agree... It is sad that this is the case. Not to "pardon" them by any means, but our society has really allowed this to come to be. Our women where shorter and less clothes and sometimes I want to ask, "Do you 'want' to be checked out, or are you just unaware that wearing next to nothing does something to guys?" We have been conditioning our men to think this way, a way in which they are already wired to think. Maybe you (and the rest of the sensible women out there who remain silent) can kindly say these men, "I do not appreciate the way you are looking at me, could you please stop?" You see the reality is you are talking about sexual harrasment, and THAT is not SUPPOSE to be tolerated...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home