Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Strikes in the CSU system

I heard the rumor earlier today that TA's were going on strike tomorrow. I just received this email from my spanish professor that explains it better than I could. They're choosing to go on strike right around the time of finals, which could seriously mess some things up for the students. So I think the pressure might force some of the higher ups to give into their demands. But we shall see. Here's the email from my professor:

"Dear Students,

as some of you might have heard about this, all Academic Student Employees (ASEs) are starting a strike tomorrow, December 9.

Well, I'm one of them. Until today I had faith in that the CSU system will cooperate in finally giving us our first contract (right now I am not even regarded to be a University employee), however, at this point I have given up hope...and the University continues to practice unfair labor practices by making unilateral changes to our working conditions, denying some ASEs inclusion in the bargaining unit, repeatedly failing to provide information that is necessary for us to have for negotiations and denying Union activists the right to talk to members.

Because ASEs like me do a significant portion of the instructional work on campus, our working conditions are your learning conditions. Increasing workloads, growing section sizes, and an administrative focus on the bottom-line undermines your quality of education.

You and your parents can help avert a potential Unfair Labor Priactice strike by contacting the President and your legislators to let them know how important your TAs, GAs , Tutors, and Graders are to your education. Let them know that you, as students, agree that ASEs deserve the basic respect and rights accorded to every other CSU employee and to thousands of ASEs across the country.

If this is not resolved tomorrow, our strike will go on and you might not have a final exam. I will keep you posted by sending you up-dates every day. I'm sorry if this causes you any inconvenience,
thank you in advance for your support,
Daniela"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home