Thursday, October 14, 2004

Can I Pick Your Brain?

Instant Messenger can definitely be a bad distraction when you are trying to study. But tonight I discovered it can also be a very useful tool. I'm writing a complex argument for my philosophy class. It can be on any topic, controversial or not, it just has to have 5 different types of simple arguments: modus ponens, modus tollens, chain argument, disjunctive argument, and a valid categorical syllogism (bonus points if anyone actually knows what these are, I just learned myself and I'm supposed to be writing something on them!)
Well before I could do that I needed to come up with reasons to prove my conclusion: All people should be given the chance to pursue a higher education. So I went on Instant Messenger for about 10 minutes and talked to 5 different people: my next door neighbor, a friend in long beach, a friend at UC Santa Barbara, a friend at UC Santa Cruz, and a friend at UCLA. Needless to say I had about 7 ideas for arguments in about 10 minutes, nice.
Now it's time to write the paper in the correct forms! Not fun, but it's nice to have arguments to work with. Thanks guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home