Sunday, June 06, 2004

Parents letting go

Lately my parents (mainly my mom actually) have started to become very clingy, not wanting me to go out, or spend time with other people besides them. Most of you who read this blog probably already know about this problem I am having. I know the reason they are becoming this way is because I am finally graduating and only have 3 more months at home before I go off to SDSU, and I don't think they are ready to let go. They have known for over a year now that I had plans to move away when I went to college, but now that the time is getting closer they are less willing to let me, their oldest, go. It's so hard because I understand that they are feeling this way, but at the same time I want to be out on the weekends, enjoying my time with friends, especially since I am now done with school work and want to have fun and take advantage of my last free summer. I am at the point where I don't care if they don't want me to go out so that I can be home spending time with them. In fact I am home often with them they just don't see it as enough. The hardest part is that in this time right before I leave I do not want to alienate myself from my parents, yet that's what I find myself doing. I want to have a good relationship with them so that when I finally do leave I won't leave on bad terms and want to completely be on my own without them. This is the time when I need to learn to become more independent, I feel like I am ready to be on my own, and yet my parents are holding on even tighter. I don't want to be on bad terms with them all summer while I fight with them when I want to go out. However I am not going to stay at home all of the time either because that is what they want. (Sigh) I just need some patience to understand that this is how they are going to be for now. But I hope that soon things will get better, and they realize that they are simply alienating me.

1 Comments:

At 6/07/2004 12:30:00 AM, Blogger Joseph said...

hey Laura, thanks for the comment, it brightened my day. good luck with everything in the future. your first year of college... exciting! ENJOY this next summer! it'll definitely be a memorable one. well, take care, and later days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home