Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Customers

One thing to keep in mind when you are upset about something in a store is to think about who you should really be complaining to. For example the cashier at the front of the store probably has nothing to do with the problem that was encountered. However since these are the people that the customer encounters, the people at the bottom of the food chain are the ones who get complained to.
So I really do like working with people, but it always dampers my mood a little when someone gets upset with me over something, especially when it isn't my fault.
Today I had a man hang up after he had been on hold for probably no more than 2 minutes because the stocker who was supposed to answer the phone was in the middle of helping a customer and wasn't able to answer right away. He called back and when I answered the phone, in the middle of helping other customers, he proceeded to yell at me for a couple of minutes about how ridiculous it was that he had to be on hold and he didn't understand why there wasn't anyone to talk to right away. I tried to get him to talk to a manager (the ones who are supposed to deal with these problems). But nope he just kept yelling as I tried to pleasantly proceed with other people's transactions. Ugh. Eventually I was able to transfer him when he calmed down a little.
Another man came in with a collar that he believed wasn't working properly. That's fine, he's allowed to return it except he doesn't have a receipt. Well our return policy allows this he just gets store credit. But of course he doesn't want the credit he wants his money back, which I can't do. Remember, I don't make the rules, I just have to follow them. So after getting a manager to come over and explain the exact same thing as I told him he finally took his credit while grumbling.
Because there is a vet hospital in our store we have some prescription foods. In order to purchase the foods you obviously have to have a prescription card. Well a lady wanted to purchase prescription food for her dog and didn't have her card. The computer won't let me even proceed with the transaction unless I punch in the correct numbers from the card. Anyway, you get the picture. More being upset and telling me how this was ridiculous and the dog needed the food. Of course the vet has already gone home for the day. Meanwhile I can't give her the food.
And this was just today.
I know you guys don't need it, but maybe there was a moral in this story somewhere? Like next time you get upset with something in a store, think about who you should be upset with and who you should really be complaining to, like a manager. Because most likely the people you interact with, unless you personally see them making a mistake, had nothing to do with, nor can they fix the problem.

1 Comments:

At 6/15/2005 11:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well it is a bummer... I like corrie's resolution...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home