Monday, January 24, 2005

1 Day Down, Many More To Go...

I'd say day 1 of this semester went pretty well. I was kind of hoping that it would be an easy day, as in professor hands out the syllabus and we go over it and leave. That didn't happen, lectures started right away, but that's ok. I had my 2 PE classes today. Sophia was joking about the lab part of the class. She said something like "what, are half of you going to act like kids while the other half teaches the class?" I laughed at her, probably not I thought. Well she was kind of right. For the first day, we did all kinds of kids activities, like skipping around to the music and once the music went off, touching our foreheads to the ground and stuff. I have no problem being a complete dork in front of little kids, but we're all college students here. And yes, we are going to break up into groups and make lesson plans and teach the rest of the class as if they were kids.
Maybe now's a good time to bring up the fact that I'm not so sure that I want to be a teacher anymore. I don't really know why, or what I DO want to do, but I just have these kind of doubts. I want to do something I love, but what that is I don't yet know. In my math class we also have to get up and explain concepts as if to elementary kids. And then once a week we go to a school and actually teach kids. So I'm thinking I'm going to wait out the semester for now. The problem is just that I have no idea what the heck I want to major in. This is the first time I've really talked about my doubts, because the idea of having to change everything, setting me back a bit, is somewhat overwhelming. I know that I love working with children. But that doesn't necessarily mean that I am going to enjoy teaching. Well, we'll see.
Anyway, gotta go. I need to make a Staples and Target run and then I have a dorm meeting!

2 Comments:

At 1/25/2005 08:47:00 AM, Blogger OutOfTheSilent said...

well there is always Middle School. So you have a SUBJECT that you like and you teach that one. Plus in Middle School and High School you don't have the Parent presure that you have in Elementary School. The real question is: does anybody really want to get into this teaching profesion? They don't get paid a whole lot, yes they do get three months off (without pay), and they are worked and expected to do crazy things and hours!! Of course it does depend on your administrator too...

 
At 1/25/2005 03:15:00 PM, Blogger OutOfTheSilent said...

Came back for more:
Avacados are good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home