Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Joel

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the tragic death of a friend Joel Hyde. I know for many it was a tough day, not really knowing how to feel or act. As I thought about Joel yesterday I was reminded of how important our relationships with people are because we never know when they will end. It was good for me to be able to go home for a day and be with my family and some of my closest friends. I thanked God for putting these people in my life as I prayed and thought about those closest to Joel who were aching at the loss of such an awesome person.
I was thinking about the time that I really had the chance to see who Joel was. The Long Beach Nazarene youth group went on a snowboarding trip up in Big Bear. Most everyone knew what they were doing, but once Emma and I made it to the top of the bunny slopes we couldn't even stand up, let alone move anywhere. Joel paciently expained everything to us, even though I'm sure he wanted to be on the advanced slopes himselves, and went slowly down that first run until we had the hang of it. Later on he, I believe accidently, went off of a jump on one of the advanced slopes and landed basically on his head. Looking up at those around him (not myself, I was still at the bunny slopes) as blood was coming out of his nose he asked "Where am I?". Talk about a scare. But a few minutes later he seemed ok, although he probably had a concussion. An hour later he went back out snowboarding, to the protest of most of us who didn't think it was a good idea. But he wanted to make the most out of the trip, always living life out to the fullest. I know all of us who knew him have our own good memories of Joel that we will hang onto forever.
Thank you God, for putting Joel into my life, never let me forget that the relationships we have with our friends and family are the more important than anything else.

1 Comments:

At 10/28/2004 12:57:00 PM, Blogger OutOfTheSilent said...

very fun... I am looking forward to some of the fun storries people will have to tell about him... it will be fun to gather them...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home