Monday, March 06, 2006

Defensive Driving

Today I had to take a defensive driving class for work. I think I would have absolutely died of boredom if Cerise and my co-worker Dan weren't there as well. We pretty much traded off cracking jokes the entire time.
I think I learned 2 things that I didn't know before:
1) If you see a deer in your path and you can't brake in time, accelerate. Yes, accelerate (insert my vegetarian room mate having a heart attack here). Why? Cause then the animal won't fly through the windshield because your car is pointing down as you brake, which has a greater chance of killing you. Or you won't swerve too fast and end up flying off the road and hitting a tree. Interesting. I'm sure that will come in handy as I drive down the 101. :/
2) You're not actually supposed to have your hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel. As I'm pretty sure most of us (including myself) were taught. Why? Because if the airbag deploys then your arms will break. I thought this was actually pretty useful. Until I remembered, I don't have airbags.
At the end we had to take a test that gave us points to assess how safe of drivers we are. Cerise got the highest score, 445. The problem? You wanted a low score, anything above 191 was considered at high risk. (I got 225 :/ ) The instructor said he was surprised she wasn't dead already! This was of course accompanied by either looks of shock or disapproval, even disgust, by some of the older people (actually more so women) among our crowd. Yikes!
So why I'll actually need this class? It's in case we ever operate a motor vehicle on campus. Which I can't see that happening, except maybe next week during the NCAA. I guess it's for any "just in case" time.
Basically Cerise and I are going to die in a car accident. Dan scored 190, so he's close enough behind. I'm not sure they're actually going to want us to drive for work?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home