Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A Little Daunting

Up to this point in my Social Ethics class I've felt a little like I didn't belong there. Much of what is said seems to go over my head. And the reading is definitely not easy. Of course it's not supposed to be, but still.
It's also my first upper division class, which could explain it.
Anyway, I had a midterm today for it. Writing 2 essays. I studied forever for it and last night I finally had that "aha" moment. Where I was understanding what in the heck Socrates, Aristotle, and the modern philosopher Agnes Heller were trying to say. And at the same time it finally got interesting. Good thing, since I am minoring in Philosophy!
I actually had fun writing the essays today. Maybe "fun" isn't quite the word, but it was enjoyable. Ok, that sounds really nerdy. But seriously. Once I was able to grapple with ideas like existentialism, universalism, and contingency, things finally got interesting. Well interesting to me at least, since I think moral philosophy is interesting :)
Ok, I'll stop sounding like a nerd now. I'll let you know if I change my mind about the entertainment of these essays when I get my midterm grade back!

2 Comments:

At 10/19/2005 07:45:00 AM, Blogger melissamae said...

very cool. dont worry so much about being a nerd...nerds are actually really cool. (they just have a bad reputation)

 
At 10/19/2005 08:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree I like the philosphy thinking, hard, but like it... I enjoyed my ONE class in grad school... don't know if I would want more though, although I would like to spend more time on them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home