Friday, April 25, 2008

Hepatitis A

There was a minor outbreak of Hepatitis A in San Diego. They figured out that all 6 of these people had eaten at the same Chipotle in the past month and a half. This happens to be the Chipotle right down the street from me. And I've eaten there twice in the time frame they mentioned in the news. Sweet!
So far however I do not have any symptoms so I think I'm good. Although apparently they do not always show up right away and the last time I ate there was Sunday.
Oh, and I learned something new. How do you get Hepatitis A you may be wondering? From "feces" transferred through food or in close contact. So either they have rats that are pooping in the food. OR an employee who isn't washing their hands.
GROSS. Chipotle is one of my favorite fast food places... but I don't know if I'll be able to go back to that one... too grossed out.

2 Comments:

At 4/28/2008 06:51:00 AM, Blogger melissamae said...

i will say lots of prayers that is so nasty.

 
At 4/30/2008 06:42:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Hi Laura,

I noticed your blog entry, and I thought I’d respond to it, since I am a Chipotle employee myself. We certainly wish to apologize for any anxiety we have caused you. We want you to know that the safety and well-being of our customers is our highest priority, and we are cooperating completely with your local health department in San Diego. Perhaps media reports haven’t mentioned this, but 100% of our crew and managers at our La Mesa restaurant were tested by the health department and 100% of them are clean. All of them have been cleared by the health department to return to work. Additionally, this restaurant has been inspected by the health department five times in the last five months, including two inspections in the last week, and received A grades (or excellent) in each inspection, and is open for normal business.

Therefore, we do definitely feel it is safe to eat at Chipotle – the health department has said so publicly, and we wouldn’t be open for business if they didn’t believe it was safe. And while the health department has not yet reached a conclusion to the source of the hepatitis A cases, we’ll continue to work with them and help them with whatever they ask of us. We do hope you will consider this information then and give us another chance.

Sincerely,

Joe Stupp
Chipotle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home