Thursday, November 15, 2007

2 blogs in 1 day??

Last weekend I visited my grandma (mom's mom) in Arizona. She's at a nursing home there, not really doing very well. She suffers from Parkinson's disease which has by now made her almost completely immobile. And she's starting to get dimentia. She's actually not super "old" by todays standards. She just had her 84th birthday.
It was an interesting weekend. I met one of my cousins for the first time. There's a few I've never met before. This is kind of how my mom's family is (there could be a whole story on that but I won't go into it). I was able to see 1 aunt who just got out of rehab and is being treated for Hepatitis C. And I got to see one of my moms brothers who I've only seen once before, and then I also saw another aunt who I haven't seen in awhile.
My grandma was able to talk a little, and much of the time she was coherent. The biggest thing that I noticed was that she was lonely. How sad to reach 84 and be put into a nursing home not far from 2 of your children and very rarely see them or your other 4 kids? My grandma wasn't there for my mom growing up, I give my mom major props for still making the effort to visit. But she WAS the one to raise my other 5 aunts and uncles and was there for them.
My mom has mentioned a few times before that if anything ever happened to her she would want to be put into a hospital so as not to be a burden on anyone. After seeing my grandma on the first day I hugged my mom and was having a hard time choking back tears as told her I'd NEVER let her get to that point. Even if eventually she needs assisted living she will live close to me and I will visit every day if I can.
It was just pretty heart breaking to see my grandma that way, and with no one that was really there for her.
With my families medical history it's pretty darn likely I'll end up in a home one day as well. I hope that I still have friends and family around me who care enough to make sure that I feel loved and am not lonely.

1 Comments:

At 11/17/2007 07:00:00 PM, Blogger OutOfTheSilent said...

I just wanted to drop a line and let you know I am here... I just haven't been able to write much too you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home